Field editor Isaac Bowers has gone onto the battle field to interview the knight, Sir Walter of Canterbury.
Isaac: Sir Walter, what kind of training did the first stage of knighthood require?
Sir Walter: When a young boy of noble birth turns seven he goes into service as a page. It requires taking care of horses, reading, and taking care of the people of the castle. I found this to be a long period of time and often I was bored with the work.
Isaac: What type of training did the second stage of knighthood require?
Sir Walter: The second stage is when the boy turns 14. He then become a esquire. It requires learning horsemanship, the rules of Heraldry, the code of Chivalry, and attending to the knights and horses.
Isaac: What takes place during the ceremony to turn the squire into a knight?
Sir Walter: A ritual bath on the eve of the ceremony, then an all night vigil prayer. Then the master of the castle dubs the new Knight with a sword. It is a very exciting time for a young man.
Isaac: What was the Code of Chivalry?
Sir Walter: It required the knight to defend his lord.
Isaac: What is chain mail?
Sir Walter: Protective clothing made out of metal rings.
Isaac: How much does a full suit of armor weight?
Sir Walter: I full suit of armor can with between 40 to 60 pounds. I find it very difficult to move in at times. Especially when I begin to get weary after a long day at battle.
Isaac: How are you paid for your work?
Sir Walter: Yes, I am paid in either gold or land. I prefer land.
Isaac: Why are hot horseshoes put on the horses hooves?
Sir Walter: When the shoe is put on hot it is easier to the hoof.
Isaac: Why do Knights have tournaments?
Sir Walter: To show how skilled they are. And also, not many would admit this, we do it because we like to show off our abilities! We are a proud group!
Isaac What is heraldry?
Sir Walter: A special system of identification in order to help distinguish fully armored knights on the battle field.
Isaac: Thank you Sir Walter of Canterbury.


No comments:
Post a Comment